Fact SheetWhat Is Love and Logic All About?
The Love and Logic Institute is dedicated to making parenting and teaching fun and rewarding, instead of stressful and chaotic. We provide practical tools and techniques that help adults achieve respectful, healthy relationships with their children. All of our work is based on a psychologically sound parenting and teaching philosophy called Love and Logic.
What Is Love and Logic?
Children learn the best lessons when they're given a task and allowed to make their own choices (and fail) when the cost of failure is still small. Children's failures must be coupled with love and empathy from their parents and teachers.
This practical and straightforward philosophy is backed with 30 years of experience. Parents can apply it immediately to a wide range of situations instead of struggling with difficult counseling procedures.
Who's Behind It?
Jim Fay - founder and former school principal - view biography
Foster W. Cline, M.D. - founder and psychiatrist - view biography
Charles Fay, Ph.D. - president and school psychologist - view biography
Why Does It Work?
- Uses humor, hope, and empathy to build up the adult/child relationship
- Emphasizes respect and dignity for both children and adults
- Provides real limits in a loving way
- Teaches consequences and healthy decision-making
"After studying this parenting program, 'Becoming a Love and Logic Parent,' I rave about the fact that it has helped me and other parents I know develop usable, practical skills, as opposed to just learning another theory about what I should be doing."
- Peter Burnett, parent, Portland, Ore.
"My teachers and I could see the advantages to the school of putting parents' back in control.' My job as a school administrator is much less stressful now thanks to Love and Logic."
- Judy Griswold, principal, Aurora, Colo.
How Do I Get Started?
To learn more about Love and Logic in action, attend an event, or simply receive more details, call 800-338-4065. Once you've employed Love and Logic, you'll see positive results right away, whether you're the parent of a toddler or a teenager, care for one child or teach a classroom full of children!
A Partial List of Available Resources
- Parenting with Love and Logic (book and audio CD)
- Teaching with Love and Logic (book and audio CD)
- Hormones & Wheels: Parent Survival Tips for those Chaotic Teen Years (audio CD)
- Toddlers & Pre-schoolers: Love and Logic Parenting for Early Childhood (audio CD)
- Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six (book)
- Love and Logic MP3s and On-Demand Webinars
To view all our resources visit our online store.
You can find a complete listing of upcoming conferences at the Classes/Seminars page.