Jim Fay Biography
Co-Founder, The Love and Logic InstituteFounder, School Consultant Services
31 years of experience in education, including:
30 years of experience as a speaker, consultant.
Jim Fay has become one of America's most sought-after presenters in the fields of parenting, positive discipline, and classroom management. With Foster W. Cline, M.D., he is the co-founder of The Love and Logic Institute and co-author of the bestseller Parenting with Love and Logic.
He's become a pied piper for parents, providing practical teaching and parenting techniques and encouraging adults to be consistent and effective in their efforts with kids.
Jim Fay has over 30 years of experience in education, serving in public, private, and parochial schools in a variety of roles, including elementary education, art and music teacher, school principal, and administrator. He has been consulting and speaking about parenting and education for more than 30 years, founding School Consultant Services, the sister company to the Cline-Fay Institute, in 1977.
Through working in a variety of education settings, including inner-city and suburban schools, Jim saw the need to structure the classroom, the schools, and the home in a way that would build positive relationships with children. The structure would teach children responsibility and self-discipline, while still giving kids the message that adults cared about them.
"Some people are uncomfortable when I bring up love in education" he says. "'This shouldn't be a popularity contest,' they say. But I started out as a parent and a teacher with lots of lecturing, threats, rewards, and punishments - and they didn't work."
Jim Fay slowly developed the Love and Logic® philosophy, learning as he went and experimenting with different techniques until he found a consistent, practical way to work with children.
He is the parent of three children, one of whom is Dr. Charles Fay…a school psychologist and speaker/author of the Love and Logic Institute. Jim has served as a consultant to schools, parent and mental health organizations, and the U.S. military.
Books, videos, and audios by Jim Fay include:
- "Avoiding Power Struggles with Kids: Featuring Jim Fay's Science of Control"
- "Calming The Chaos: Behavior Improvement Strategies for the Child with ADHD"
- "Creating a Love and Logic School Culture"
- "Developing Character in Teens"
- "Didn't I tell you to take out the trash?!" Techniques for Getting Kids to do Chores without Hassles
- "From Innocence to Entitlement: A Love and Logic Cure for the Tragedy of Entitlement"
- "Grandparenting with Love and Logic: Practical Solutions to Today's Grandparenting Challenges"
- "Helicopters, Drill Sergeants, and Consultants: Parenting Styles and the Messages They Send"
- Home and School Strategies for Creating Respectful, Responsible Kids: Love and Logic On-Demand Webinar
- "Hope for Underachieving Kids: Opening the Door to Success with Love and Logic"
- "Hormones and Wheels: Parent Survival Tips for Those Chaotic Teen Years"
- "How to Discipline Kids without Losing Their Love and Respect"
- "How To Raise Kids Who Make Responsible Decisions When Nobody Is Watching"
- "Love and Logic Magic For Lasting Relationships"
- "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years"
- "Love and Logic Magic For Lasting Relationships"
- "Love and Logic Magic When Kids Drain Your Energy"
- "Love and Logic Magic When Kids Leave you Speechless"
- "Love and Logic Money-isms: Wise Words About Raising Money-Smart Kids"
- "Love and Logic Powder Room Reader"
- "Love and Logic Solutions: Unbeatable, On-the-Mark Answers to Parents' Most-Asked Questions About Raising Kids"
- "Love and Logic Speed-E Solutions: Success with Chronically Disruptive Students"
- "Love and Logic Speed-E Solutions: When Your Kids Get Defiant"
- "Love Me Enough to Set Some Limits: Building Your Child's Self-Esteem with Thoughtful Limit Setting"
- "Meeting the Challenge: Using Love and Logic to Help Children Develop Attention and Behavior Skills"
- "Millionaire Babies or Bankrupt Brats?: Love and Logic Solutions to Teaching Kids About Money"
- "Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Responsible Adulthood"
- "Parenting with Love and Logic: Teaching Children Responsibility"
- "Put the Fun Back into Parenting: Stories that Teach"
- "Putting Parents at Ease: Nine Keys to Effective Parent-Teacher Conferences"
- "Quick and Easy Classroom Interventions: 23 Proven Tools for Increasing Student Cooperation"
- "Raising the Odds for Responsible Behavior"
- "Real World Parenting Solutions: That Prepare Kids for the Real World"
- "Schoolwide Discipline Plan Without the Loopholes: A Positive Schoolwide Discipline Plan Without the Loopholes"
- "Shaping Self-Concept: Encouraging Kids to Take Risks and Learn"
- "Simple Parenting Strategies: For Raising Great Kids in Complicated Times"
- "Taking the Stress out of Raising Great Kids: Journal Collection Years 1995 to 2000"
- "Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom"
- "The Four Steps to Responsibility: Techniques to Lead Children to Responsible Decision Making"
- "The Love and Logic Classroomâ€¦More Cooperative, Higher Achieving Students: Nine Key Skills for Educators
- "The Love and Logic Tenth Anniversary Journal Collection
- "The Pearls of Love and Logic for Parents and Teachers"
- "Toddlers and Pre-Schoolers: Love and Logic Parenting for Early Childhood, Six Months to Five Years"
- "Trouble-Free Teens: Smart suggestions for Parenting Your Pre-Teen"
- "Winning the Homework Battle: Helping Children Discover and Celebrate Their Strengths"
"The Love and Logic philosophy teaches character. Character is built out of a formula that involves three things: A child making a mistake, an adult feeling empathy and compassion for the child, and the child learning from the consequences of his or her actions."