23 Classroom Interventions
By Jim Fay
Easy-to-Use Classroom Management Techniques
These easy-to-use classroom management techniques allow teachers to maintain classroom control while they effectively handle even the most troublesome classroom behaviors.
- Give the student the "evil eye."
- Walk toward the student.
- Stand close to the student.
- Eye contact and a shake of the head indicating "No."
- A gentle hand upon the shoulder of the student.
- A statement indicating disfavor.
- Change the student's location.
- Statement of misplaced behavior.
- Using an I-message.
- Teacher sets limits by describing what he/she allows/does, or provides, without telling the students what to do about it.
- Provide choices.
- Removing the student from the group to time-out.
- Requiring student to fill in a form during time-out before he/she can return to the group.
- Student is excused to the office for a short "cooling off" period. No counseling is requested of the administrator.
- Give the student an appointment to talk about the problem.
- Restricting the student from the area of his/her infraction until a new plan of action is identified and written out by the student.
- Student is restricted from the area of the infraction until the adults feel that another try is in order. The student then returns to the area on a day to day basis.
- Providing a natural or logical consequence with empathy.
- Student makes an "informational telephone call" to his/her parents to describe the problem and his/her plans for improvement. Teacher calls first without student's knowledge to alert parent and seek support.
- Student writes an "informational letter" to parents describing his/her actions or problems with plans for improvement. Letter is to be signed and returned and is the student's ticket to return to class.
- An appointment is made with the administrator for consultation. The teacher, administrator, and student form a team to discuss possible solutions.
- A parent conference is held. This includes parent, teacher, administrator, and student.
- Student is suspended from school until a parent conference is held.
People who are really successful implementing these skills purchased Quick and Easy Classroom Interventions
Printer Friendly PDF
Permission granted for photocopy reproduction.
Please do not alter or modify contents.
For more information, call the Love and Logic Institute, Inc. at 800-338-4065.